Mission statement: The Artist in Residence program at The Whirlybird Compound will give artists a quiet, beautiful, culturally rich environment in the countryside of exotic St. Landry Parish, Acadiana – French Louisiana – to create writings, paintings, drawings, sculptures, music – or enhance their creative works in progress. Here at The Whirlybird Compound, “where you gotta go North to get to The South”, we believe creative magic will happen for our artists in residence…
What we provide – the basics
- a residence away from home in which to live, and create writings, paintings, drawings, sculptures, and music
- artists in residence sleeping space, bedrooms in The Whirlybird Underground Honky Tonk, the Tower Gallery building, and 2 vintage campers – all bedrooms are clean, private, and comfortable
- bath facilities (2 private bath in The Whirlybird Honky Tonk, and a bath house with 4 private curtained showers in The Tower Gallery)
- bedding and towels
- kitchens with utensils and cookware
- electricity, refrigerator, electric cook stove/oven, running water, and drinking water (each bedroom will have a jug for drinking water, water out of the taps is not good for drinking)
- electric and propane heaters in each space (residents will be instructed in proper use of these and fire safety)
- laundry facility with soap for washing your clothes, towels, bedding, etc.
- wireless internet (slow and intermittent, but available)
- rides for grocery run when it fits our schedule
- The Whirlybird Honky Tonk and Mig’s Bandstand for music and The Tower Gallery for art showings and readings.
- Scholarship program
What the artist provides
- Their own food – there are full-sized grocery stores nearby with organic selections, and even international selections.
- A car if they feel they need one (we will provide rides to get groceries for those without a car, etc.)
- A Community project – an outreach event for readings, workshops, shows at The Whirlybird Compound with other artists in residents and with the community invited.